In our FBN report, Do Seed Traits Pay, we explore this question — what are the most common corn and soybean traits farmers are planting, and where are they planting them? Using anonymously contributed and aggregated FBN network data, we analyzed four soybean trait packages and three corn trait packages, then compared them to conventional corn and soybeans, those without genetically modified traits.
Here's what we analyzed for corn:
- Conventional — no traits, only corn hybrid genetics in these hybrids • Glyphosate tolerance — herbicide-tolerance trait
- Corn borer control — pest-protection trait
- Rootworm control — pest-protection trait
Common Commercial Trait Packages by Brand Name for Corn
Glyphosate herbicide tolerance
Roundup Ready® Corn 2
Glyphosate herbicide tolerance + Corn Borer control
Genuity® VT Double Pro®
Agrisure ® 3010
Agrisure® Viptera® 3110
Agrisure® Viptera® 3220
Glyphosate herbicide tolerance + Corn Borer control + Rootworm control
Genuity® VT Triple Pro® (discontinued)
Optimum® AcreMax ® Xtra
Optimum® AcreMax ® XTreme
Agrisure® Viptera® 3111
Here's what we analyzed for soybeans:
- Conventional — no traits
- Glufosinate tolerance — herbicide-tolerance trait (LibertyLink®)
- First generation glyphosate tolerance — herbicide-tolerance trait
- Second generation glyphosate tolerance — herbicide-tolerance trait (Genuity® Roundup Ready 2 Yield ®)
- Glyphosate tolerance plus dicamba tolerance — herbicide-tolerance traits (Genuity® Roundup Ready 2 Xtend®)
The free report explores the impact of genetically modified (GM) trait packages on both yield and profitability in corn and soybeans as observed across the FBN network. It includes millions of acres of real-world yield and price data generated from within-field comparisons from both soybean and corn fields managed from 2009 to 2017 across 28 states.
When a trait package provides a positive yield effect in a particular cropping scenario, it may not necessarily provide a better overall option for net revenue (depending on numerous other factors, such as seed cost, chemical cost, number of herbicide or pesticide applications, commodity price, potential premium and other variable costs per acre based around management decisions).
Monsanto, Dekalb, Genuity , Roundup Ready 2 Yield, Roundup Ready 2 Xtend, VT Double Pro and VT Triple Pro , SmartStax are registered trademarks of Monsanto Technology, Bayer, or their respective owners. Pioneer, Optimum AcreMax, Optimum AcreMax Xtra and Optimum AcreMax XTreme are registered trademarks of DowDuPont. Agrisure and Viptera are registered trademarks of Syngenta. LibertyLink is a registered trademark of BASF
2. Edgerton, M. D., Fridgen, J., Anderson, J. R., Ahlgrim, J., Criswell, M., Dhungana, P., … Stark, S. B. (2012, June). Transgenic insect resistance traits increase corn yield and yield stability. Nature Biotechnology.
3. http://farmdoc.illinois.edu/ 4. https://extension.entm.purdue.edu/pestcrop/2006/issue25/PandC25_2006.pdf